Thursday, November 5, 2009

Being Wet

I don't like being wet. It is possibly one of the worst feelings I know and am repeatedly exposed to. I think this is why I do not like swimming. It is always a colossal struggle to get into the water. Should I inch in down the steps and prolong the painful process of becoming wet? Should I jump in and be mildly shocked, but at least have bypassed the discomfort of inching in? Should I try to come up with some plausible excuse for not going into the water? Once I'm in the water, either by force or reluctant choice, I think, wow, I do like being in this pool, ocean, bathtub, why don't I do it more often? This is pretty nice. No wonder my mom loves it so much. I like the way I feel submerged in this water. My gosh, I love this! But, once the time comes to come out of the water I remember, oh yes, now comes the painfully slow process of becoming dry. Why did I go in in the first place? My hair is now going to take an eternity to dry, then it will be poofy and then I will surely be smelling chlorine for the next three weeks. I'm never swimming again.

Interestingly enough I think water is really beautiful to look at. I very much enjoy looking at the lake on a sunny summer day and dipping my toes over the edge of the deck. I especially enjoy being in a boat surrounded on all sides by water and feeling like the horizon has all of a sudden become tangible. It is wonderful to be apart of something other than land.

No comments:

Post a Comment