Monday, November 30, 2009

damien rice


I know I am supposed to be doing visual artists here. But, his lyrics are so amazing and his album art is to die for. I think he creates beautiful imagery with just his voice and music. I think that in itself is beyond transcendent. His album 9 leaves me with chills and I always feel completely transported when I listen to him. I can feel what he feels and when I listen to him sing, we are one. Or at least I imagine that to be the case.

Here are some lyrics which kill me every time that I listen to him:

The Blower's Daughter

And so it is
Just like you said it should be
We'll both forget the breeze
Most of the time
And so it is
The colder water
The blower's daughter
The pupil in denial

I can't take my eyes off of you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off of you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes...

Now this might not seem like much written here and stripped of his voice. But this song very nearly always brings me to tears.

Another favorite:

Delicate

We might kiss when we are alone
When nobody's watching
We might take it home
We might make out when nobody's there
It's not that we're scared
It's just that it's delicate

So why do you fill my sorrow
With the words you've borrowed
From the only place you've known
And why do you sing Hallelujah
If it means nothing to you
Why do you sing with me at all?

Same story for this one. Basically. You must listen to these songs to know what I am saying. These lyrics are more or less demeaning without his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment