Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Little Experiment

I was doing a little personal experiment this weekend. (It happened more or less by accident and laziness but I am fascinated with the results.) I decided that I would not put eyeliner on for a few days and truly let the remaining residue of previous applications fade away. Just recently, I spoke with Lee about how I don't even really know what she looks like without eyeliner. She told me that neither does she. I thought this was very funny at first but then I got to thinking that actually, I don't really know what I look like without it. I don't really wear any makeup except for the eyeliner. I don't have any strong views against or for makeup. I am just too lazy to bother with most anything else and the eyeliner is a throwback from my earlier, let's call them emo days. For some reason, over some time, I just simply cannot be seen without it. It has become so much a part of me that I no longer know what it is to be without it. In some ways, this is rather ridiculous. So, I thought, let's not wear it, it'll save me two minutes in the morning, it'll save me a few bucks, and overall, my life is really going to improve with this minor change. For the past two days I have looked like a muted, washed out version of myself. It has prompted questions such as, "Are you sick?", "Did you have a late night last night?". No! I slept my required 14 hours thank you, and I have just gotten better from sickness! I should be glowing what with all the beauty rest and calcium I have consumed. Turns out, I have succeeded in remembering why it is that I wear the eyeliner. I think it is now too late to turn back and not wear it. I have gone on too long looking the way I look with it. Taking it off is just too risky in these tough times. Additionally, as I am typing away here, my mirror in the bedroom, of its own free will has tipped to its side. This is a clear sign from the powers that be: Wear the eyeliner, otherwise, next time, the mirror will surely break.

No comments:

Post a Comment