I realized today that I spend a good amount of time traveling in my car. I also discovered my digital camera. I am not a photographer. I never have been. But I started thinking about photography. What constitutes a photograph-able act? Why photograph anything? Documentation? For me the answer to this question is moments of profundity or moments that are supposed to be important-i.e birthdays, holidays, the sun. What would it mean if I started photographing moments that are not easily recognizable as important? Or moments that by definition are not important, that rest in between getting from here to there? So starting today, at approximately 5:00pm, I have started photographing the moments in between. I am unsure of how to do this at this point but I am thinking that a good way to start would be to write out what is 'here' and what is 'there'. The photograph will speak for the in between.
Wednesday March 10
5:25pm I am at my apartment, I have come here to feed Raja, Leo and Moby Dick. (Here: My apartment)
I have found a starbucks bag of used coffee beans. It promises a free tall coffee upon completion of the grounds. I am ready to test out this promise. I must find my way to starbucks. Luckily, there is one on every corner! (There: Starbucks)
5:45pm The lady behind the counter is less than pleased when I present my 'coupon' of sorts. I can sense the falseness of her smile. Endowed with caffeine I can now face the rest of my trip. I must head to BJ's to pick up Arizona Iced Tea, not the large containers but the portable individual bottles. (Here: Starbucks, There: BJ's)
6:30pm I search for 25 minutes. As I am about to give up I see a sign for what I seek. And, now I can make the final leg of my trek, Wegmans. Last night, I rented "New York I Love You," (A lovely film) from the RedBox and now must return it to make sure I am not charged. (Here: BJ's, There: Wegmans)
7:03pm I park in the parking lot, what seems to be miles away from the door. I need to find the right spot. The right spot is one I can pull through. Often, this spot is not found anywhere near the entrance. I generally don't mind but my passengers generally do. Task completed I am off to my house in Pittsford, where I am residing this break. (Here: Wegmans, There: My House.)
Thursday: March 11 2010
1030AM Here: Home in Pittsford, There: U of R to have lunch with Jessie.
130PM Here: U of R, There: My house in Pittsford.
430PM Here: Home in Pittsford, There: Schoen Place, Aladdin's to chat with Rachel and Mitch.
600PM Here: Aladdins There: My home in Pittsford.
830PM Here: My house in Pittsford. THere: Lee's apartment on Park Ave to feed Raja, Leo and Moby Dick.
900PM Here: The apartment on Park. There: Wegmans in Pittsford to rent a movie for family movie night.
915PM Here: Wegmans There: My house in Pittsford.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm afraid I only read english:( perhaps you would be interested in transcribing for me?
ReplyDeletebecause you stay, i write.
ReplyDeleteI've been finding the trash each morning particularly interesting here. most of the time it's just 100s of beer bottles from the night before (or one morning, 7 kegs taking over the sidewalk)...but you never know what youre gonna find. i love it.
ReplyDeleteI like this defining of spaces. you're usually not aware of them