Sunday, March 7, 2010

multitasking

I have been thinking about how I rarely concentrate on a single activity for the duration of the activity without interruption. Either I am physically doing multiple things at once or my thoughts are taking off. One of the few spaces I can think of where I am focused on an act for the sake of the act alone, without any other excess material, is when I am making art or running. For instance, even now, as I am typing here, my computer has a tab open for facebook, a youtube video of ellen degeneres doing stand up, next to my laptop sits Sue Monk Kidd's memoir, Traveling with Pomegranates, open to page 46, and as always, my phone is open and in the middle of a text that I will probably forget to send. I am thinking about how I want to run to the kitchen to refill my coffee and water bottle and that perhaps I should consider what to have for breakfast. I am wondering about when I should run and if I should dust off my bike after months of hibernation. The roads are certainly clear enough today. Slowly, miraculously, it is looking and feeling like winter might be on its last breath, I am wanting to go out to watch it fade. I am wanting to feel the sun on my skin with nothing but the air between us.

I long for peace.
Stillness.
I want to hear above the cacophonous whirring of materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment