Wednesday, October 14, 2009

things i like/dislike

Things I like:

Fall. I love to look at the leaves changing. I love running through the woods and feeling a sense of peace and unity with the earth and my surroundings. I love the quiet way leaves go through an incredible metamorphosis. For some reason, even though essentially, the leaves are dying, they sing of sweet and beautiful things. There is something very admirable about how they lose their color without any protest.

Conversations about nothing that end up amounting to something.

Inaccessibility to answers.

Coffee dripping into the coffee pot as I drip from the shower.

Waking up to find Raja and Leo (my cats)slumbering underneath my arms. Similarly, waking up to find Raja sleeping on my chest.

The combination of my space heater, the lamp on the end table in our living room, and the flame from our pumpkin spice candle.

Giving and receiving letters. More precisely, reading and writing such letters.

Drowsily watching TV after dinner.

General drowsiness as well, drowsiness from drinking and drowsiness from thinking and talking.

Coming home and making dinner with Lee and talking about our day, both together and apart.

Running in the morning, before I have had a chance to realize I am awake.

Running in the evening along the canal, watching the sun set, smelling the deep hickory smoke wafting from fireplaces.

Running in the afternoon, quickly, hardly stopping to breathe, pushing beyond my physical capacity to move. Feeling the beat of my music pulsing through my feet and even dripping through my hair.

Running in the rain, watching as the roads darken with color and become slick, reflecting headlights from cars and creating a vibrant dance of red, green and muted yellow.

The weightlessness of possibility.

Reading Murakami.

Song lyrics that ring true with my state of mind.


Things I dislike:

When people specifically say things to impress me. I am most impressed by humility. I can fall in love with humility.

Rain. More specifically, when rain capillary actions up my pants. (I know, capillary action is not a verb.)

Shoes.

Temperatures that begin with the number 3.

The impending threat of winter.

Increasing darkness in the days.

Cold hands and feet.

Being wet.

Clouds.

Sleeping too little and sleeping too much.

Crusted over food on dishes that have been laying in my sink for days.

Finding myself in the bathroom without toilet paper.

Uncertainty.

Leaving the house without putting on eyeliner.

Eating to live and not living to eat.

Cat hair on my sweatshirts.

The moment before my alarm rings in the morning.

Sitting still for more than 15 minutes at at a time.

Waiting.


These lists are in no way exhaustive and I will perhaps pick them up again at some point.

2 comments:

  1. i really love this. i used to keep a master-list of all the things i like and i would work on it whenever i was bored in class...or life. i liked reading your list and seeing the similarities and differences from my own list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this is so true. my whole blog is kind of what i do when boredom threatens to take over my head. also, as i was doing this i found that there are actually a lot more things i like. i struggled with my dislikes. i suppose this can be seen as a good thing!

    you should put your list up, i would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete