

Urs Fischer is a sculptor who I came upon in the paper this morning I find his work to be somewhat confusing. I think the work that he is showing at the New Museum is a look back at his work, without completely being a survey. The work on display is that of the past four years. The pieces that I find most engaging are the ones I've put up. They seem to have a presence that is at once ethereal and weighted. In the article, the reviewer writes, " If the Wild Things took up abstract sculpture, it would look like this." I want to agree with this statement. This part of the exhibit seems wonky and deeply meaningful. The other two floors that Fischer is displaying his work in seem to showcase work that I have a hard time feeling a connection with. I do think that his use of space is ingenious.
For a little bit of bio information:
Fischer was born in Zurich in 1973 and moved to Amsterdam 1993
In earlier works he has been known to dig craters directly into the floor of the museums that he is exhibiting in.
He studied photogrpahy in Zurich.
For a more complete look at his exhibit at the New Museum: http://www.newmuseum.org/exhibitions/417/
No comments:
Post a Comment