Wednesday, December 9, 2009

random groups of people

This summer I worked with a group of people that I had never worked with before. It was an incredibly wonderful and eye opening experience. I went into it thinking, "i am going to hate this, i don't think I like these people, I liked the people i worked with before. my God, my life is over." But as the summer moved along I ended up really bonding with my counselors and I very much enjoyed working with them and I looked forward to spending time with them everyday. I think from it, I made one particular friendship that I never saw coming and which I find to be quite beautiful. It was such a wonderful surprise to make such a lasting and easy connection. The reason I mention this is because I feel that way about a lot of groupings I have been more or less randomly put in lately. My UReading team is such a great group of people as well. I very much enjoy going to work every Monday and Wednesday morning and seeing them. I like the way we interact with each other and I like how comfortable we have become so quickly. I also feel this way about the Senior Art Majors. As of late, we have seen a lot of each other and I really enjoy spending time with everyone. I think each of these cases are slightly different but connected in some way. I don't know why I am so surprised by this development. I can't figure out how much of this has to do with my attitude and how much of this comes from without. I do not like group situations and I generally dislike parties or anything of that sort. I much prefer one on one discussions or time spent quietly conversing in a coffee shop. I always feel more real this way. But lately, the groups of people I have been spending my time with have really been some of the most enriching and pleasing experiences. I know that these groupings of people obviously have something in common: we all want to work with kids or we all want to make art. But, we are still such different people. All in all, it is rather lovely being with people who make me smile. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment