Thursday, September 24, 2009

I think going back to why Cousin Zuber bothered me so much is because in that moment he represented something that really frustrates me about my mosque and about the way people treat each other. At my mosque I consistently feel like there is censorship that occurs without due reason. I am constantly feeling like I need to fight to be heard and that I need to shout to be considered. I am so sick of this. It should not be this way. I have just as important and noteworthy things to say as any man and I refuse to allow an ignorant understanding of what a woman's role is within Muslim culture to stop me. I purposefully say culture instead of religion. It is culture that allows for this and I am at a loss for to how to put an end to it. Anger gets me nowhere, sarcasm is similarly disregarded, and participating in it is out of the question. How can I make this situation different?

3 comments:

  1. ....sorry if I'm butting in...but....I couldn't help keeping my very biased opinion to myself....

    in a way, by being yourself, a strong, independent, and outspoken woman, you circumvent this cultural constraint. maybe by being firm in that...you can change people (certain men's) minds about what women can do or how much they or their opinion matters.....but i think its very very hard to change people's view on the world...so it's more about believing in your own self-worth even though the people around you act in a way that isn't worthy of you....I guess I have a sort of buddhist view of it...by being above their pettiness you in turn achieve your own release from the negative cycle they have you in....

    idk....i digress.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stubled apon your blog and just wanted to comment. Unfortunately the situation you describe is far too common in muslim and in many conservative christian circles. You are correct in calling it culture and not religion. Unfortunately you will find that culture is often placed before religion, and pointing this out will only get you more criticism and resistance. My advice is to not try to change the mosque. They have their game and play it like they want to. Trying to change that will leave you frustrated, disillusioned, and bitter and will put a dent in your faith. Better to listen to your heart and to look around you outside of the mosque where you can make a difference and put your energy into that. That will be of more value to you and to the people you help.

    ReplyDelete