Monday, September 21, 2009

materials/concepts

Concepts:

Transcendence beyond this reality is my ultimate obsession. I am constantly looking for a vehicle to reach or at least, briefly exist, in a plane of being that allows me to move beyond the physicality of myself towards something more. I have had several incredibly ethereal experiences of transcendence and I can somewhat pinpoint why I transcendence occurred in those circumstances. However, I cannot replicate any moment. That in itself is impossible. Attempting that is an automatic fail. However, I am interested in finding out the mechanism that leads to transcendence and for lack of a better word, exploiting it to my benefit. But therein lies the problem. Anytime I have transcended my own self, it has happened without my conscious desire to do so. I think unconsciously (although, how am I to know?) I am always looking for transcendence. I have deduced this from the type of work I am interested in looking at and the type of things I am interested in doing and more telling is the way in which I approach my own way of art making. The reason transcendence is something I wish to attain is because I cannot have it as my form of existence. It is only desirable when it is something to be desired. Just as much as a question loses some of its power in the answer, describing an experience of transcendence diminishes the power locked in being involved in transcendence. So I do not want to describe transcendence. I simply want to achieve it, leaving it open for constant accessibility.

I have very little idea for how I wish to achieve this. This is why, I now turn to materials.

Materials:

I'm currently stumped as to what materials I should make use of. I suppose that is a big step forward from being completely at a loss for what to do at all. I'm interested and inherently drawn to paper. Newspaper is my favorite but I wonder if this is because I can easily access mass quantities of it for free or because I like it-Probably a combination of both. I'm definitely comfortable with it. I am also absolutely enamored with text. I think text and therefore language, is such a wonderfully rich medium and is also wildly unexplored. But, I am also feeling like I should try something new, expand my horizons, etc. At the same time, I very much like where my horizon is and do not know if expansion is at all necessary. I am hoping that I figure it out so soon because I am itching to get moving. I want to feel passionate about my work again instead of being at this annoying stand still. Perhaps I should create a deadline. Deadlines seem to get me moving. I think I am also going to try to squeeze in a long run, those are generally so helpful in figuring my life out. Alright, that was such a good talk blogger.com!

Long Run: Tuesday Sept 22
Deadline for obtaining/manipulating materials: Wed Sept 23

No comments:

Post a Comment